Six senior physical education majors at SUNY Cortland were recognized with Lenore K. Alway/Anthony P. Tesori Awards for their outstanding work in student teaching in New York state schools during the Fall 2009 semester. Physical Education Department faculty members nominated one woman and five men for the recognition. The students received a certificate.
The Alway award, given to women, recognizes Lenore K. Alway, the late pioneering head of women’s
physical education at the College from 1941 to 1965. The men’s award honors Anthony P. Tesori, a 1939 graduate who gave the College many years of leadership in athletics and administrative areas and earned the College’s C-Club Hall of Fame Award for his achievements before and after graduation.
The Alway Award honoree and the school districts where she completed her teaching follows:
• Mallory Cogen of Bellmore, N.Y., at Westbury Union Free School District in Old Westbury, N.Y.,
and Herricks Union Free School District in New Hyde Park, N.Y.
The Tesori Award honorees and the schools or school districts where they completed their teaching are as follows:
• Christopher Corso of Oceanside, N.Y., at Westbury Union Free School District in Old Westbury, N.Y., and Jericho (N.Y.) Union Free School District.
• Andrew MacArthur of Great Neck, N.Y., at Southern Cayuga Central School District of Aurora, N.Y.,and Whitney Point (N.Y.) Central School District.
• Joseph Moran of Gasport, N.Y., at Fabius-Pompey (N.Y.) Central School District and Cortland (N.Y.)City School District.
• Todd Plourde of Binghamton, N.Y., at Chenango Valley Central School District of Binghamton, N.Y., and the Binghamton (N.Y.) City School District.
• Edward Reiser of Sayville, N.Y., at Brentwood (N.Y.) Union Free School District and Connetquot
Central School District of Islip, N.Y.
For more information, contact the Physical Education Department at (607) 753-4955.